Monday, February 23, 2009

CONGRATULATIONS, SEAN PENN


Dear Sean Penn,

I was hoping you would win the Oscar as Best Actor. Rarely have I seen an actor turn in such a truly stunning performance. I heard one crew member who knew Harvey Milk say that when he was on set he was floored when he say you walk in wearing that three piece suit. He said it was like seeing a ghost.

I hope your performance and the movie gives hope to all the young, gay people. I am sure they take a lot of crap, some from their parents, some from other kids. And sometimes they just can't take it anymore and take their own lives. It is very sad.

I didn't hear your Oscar speech, but I understand you said something about the people who voted YES on California's Prop 8. You said something like...OK, I looked it up:

"I think it's a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect on their great shame and their shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that support. We've got to have equal rights for everyone."


Someday we will look back on the discrimination against gay people the same way we look back on flat earthers or prosecution for witchcraft.

Congratulations, Sean Penn. I have a copy of MILK and will watch it again, more than once.

By the way, the photo above is not Sean Penn. It is of Harvey Milk.

Regards,


NEWSGUY

1 comments:

Annette said...

This is great.

I also got a chance to see the movie Praying for Bobby the other night. Yeah I know I am way behind on my movie watching. It should be must see TeeVee for everyone, especially those on the right.