Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bye, Ron


Ron Hunter, a legendary local news anchorman died last summer. I just Googled his name out of curiosity and it came up that he had died in Las Vegas. Ron was the anchor man who gave me my first real chance at an on-air job, and I went on from there to several top markets. Ron did the same. Some say he was the real-life Ron Burgundy of Anchorman. We were doing television at about the same time the Mary Tyler Moore newsroom was on the air, and Watergate. It was a very special newsroom with a lot of really good people, and I have lost touch with all of them. That's the way it was, at least for me, in TV news.

Ron had a huge ego. But at the same time he was very supportive of me and was hugely influential in my career. Due to his belief in me, I eventually landed at the ABC owned and operated station in Los Angeles, and went on to work for the Disney owned station here, as well.

0 comments: